Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My wife the deer slayer.

Thats right, my wife went hunting with me and got herself a beautiful little buck. It was probably the best day of hunting I've ever had, but I'm getting ahead of myself. My wife and I went to my parents place,
Little Lodge on the Lake, on Monday afternoon and drove to the deer lease in Buffalo Gap. It was a very nice drive and we had fun chatting and her napping. We arrived at the lease around 3:15pm and were met by her brother. He helped us unload the car and then he and I left to go hunting. Mary drove on home by herself and was going to come back on Wednesday to hunt with me. That afternoon I didn't see a single deer but heard quite a few wild pigs. They got between myself and the truck so I got out of the blind early so I didn't stumble on the pigs in the dark. The next morning I hunted a hill near camp where Mary's brother had put up his blind. It wasn't too cold and I enjoyed myself. Around 9:30am a small doe came in. She wasn't very large so I passed on her. I had already taken a small doe and a decent buck from this blind and was hopeful of seeing more deer. She was the only one I saw, although I did see a nice large bobcat off at about 180 yards. I haven't seen one in about 15 years so I was pretty pleased to have seen one. That afternoon I hunted the same blind with less success. In other words I didn't see anything. So I hiked back to camp and figured on a nice cold sandwich and an evening of goofing off. My brother inlaw came in shortly afterwards and appeared to be a bit aggitated. He kept going on about the largest buck he'd seen on the lease, buck fever, and "God I hope we can find him". So after a quick dinner we all loaded up and drove to the blind where he'd been hunting that afternoon. The signs didn't look to good. We got our flashlights and started tracking the blood trail. It was very faint and very spotty. We lucked out and found a good spray of blood about 60 yards past where the buck had been shot. Only 15 feet past that we found a very nice 11 point buck, about 2 1/2 years old, who would dress out at 104 pounds. While not the biggest buck shot on the lease, it was the buck with the most points shot on our lease. I was so glad we found this buck, I'd lost a nice one a few weeks back. I'll post more pics and finish telling about the last trip to the lease this season on the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home