Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My wife the deer slayer part 2

Ok, here's the pic of my brother inlaws 11pt buck. Beauty isn't he? I think that made the 4th deer for him, he'd shot a nice little 6pt buck earlier in the season but I won't post pics since he was a bit embarrased by it. This season we were issued land management tags for 10 bucks and 20 doe. I haven't heard the final tally but I think we have only used a couple of those so far. The tags don't expire until the end of March but I doubt my wife and I will shoot any more deer. We have a freezer full of venison from the 3 deer I shot (2 doe and 1 buck) and her first one, and yes I'll finish telling the story of her first deer soon enough. So on Wednesday morning my brother inlaw and I pack up and ground hunt. I've always hunted from a blind and am in bad physical shape so I didn't do so well. We scouted several areas on the lease that haven't been hunted and found many game trails and good blind locations. All said and done I think we'd hiked at least 3.5 miles by the time we got back to camp. My knees were hurting pretty bad so I took it easy until my wife came in that afternoon. We loaded up that afternoon and drove to a good box blind on the back side of the lease. I had made a mistake on the way to the blind and we came out of the woods about 75 yards to the right of the blind instead of right behind it. So we were caught in the open and had to stalk over to the blind without spooking any game. I was very proud of my wife. She didn't make any more noise than I did. We saw a covey of quail under the feeder and were able to get up into the blind and get settled and set up without spooking them off. We didn't see anything that night and went back to camp for dinner. Mary had brought in some venison cube steak and we grilled that on the open camp fire. I was in the kitchen baking the rolls, heating up the beans, and putting the fries in the oven. We ate about 8pm and it was fantastic! I hate to brag too much but we ate better than most that night. So about 10pm we decide to call it a day. Mary and I are sleeping on a futon, which it latin for torturous night. We didn't sleep much at all. My back was aching and because the futon folds the way it does we kept rolling into the middle and couldn't get away from each other. When Mary's dad woke us at 5am we got up, got dressed, and got moving to get away from that futon. After a breakfast of eggs, sausage, and biscuits we left camp headed for my brother inlaws blind on a hill near camp. Mary and I hiked up to the blind, and she wasn't too happy at this point. The hill is steep and covered with loose stones. We finally got settled in the blind and whispered back and forth for about half an hour. At 7:30 I pointed out a yearling buck down at the feeder. The distance from out blind to the feeder is about 135 yards. I gave Mary the binoculars and she watched him for awhile. I asked if she wanted to take him, and she said "oh yes". The buck walked in and out of the brush several times without presenting Mary with a good shot. After about 5 minutes he turned broadside to us and Mary made the shot. She put the rifle back on SAFE and handed it to me saying, "I missed". I let her know I thought she'd hit it and we'd go down and check after at least 30 minutes. While we waited I spotted 3 deer moving across the valley about 330 yards from our blind. That is well outside the range of my .30-.30 Marlin, but I enjoyed seeing them moving. A nice 8pt, followed by a small 6pt, and a nice doe were headed into the brush. At 9am we decended the hill and went to the feeder. I spotted the blood and Mary took the lead. She trailed the buck about 30 yards to where he lay. Her shot was perfect, piercing the heart and both lungs, killing almost instantly. The buck was about 1 1/2 year old, field dressed at 84lbs, and was 5pt. I am very proud of my wife and look forward to hunting with her in the future, I'm such a lucky man.

1 Comments:

Blogger snarflemarfle said...

Well, of course you're a lucky man! You got Mary!!!

9:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home