Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Opening Weekend

Well, Mary let me out of the house for some deer hunting this last weekend. I drove out to the lease on Friday evening and we were up at 5am hunting the deer. 5am was actually a bit of sleeping in since it was all pretty much uninterupted. I saw 5 deer on Saturday morning; 2 mature does, 2 fawns, and 1 button buck. For those not in the know, a button buck has little nubs, usually less than 1" in lenght for antlers. I passed on all these deer since it was early on opening morning and you don't know what might walk out of the woods next. What walked out next was a squirrel. Actually 2 squirrels. I watched these little thieves take corn out of the feeder for about half an hour before I decided to try and put a stop to this action. Now before you judge me harshly for shooting at a couple of cute little squirrels, I took pictures of them and think the office of homeland defense would endorse my termination of these suspicious individuals.





So I lined up a shot on one of them, put the crosshairs on his little head, and sent a 150 grain balistic tipped .30 caliber projectile hurtling across the 135 yards seperating us at a screaming speed of 3000 feet per second... and the little bastard ducked. The groud directly behind the squirrel blew apart and the little corn stealing tree rats took of so fast I'm pretty sure I saw one with a little red cape.



Anywho, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning were a bust. I only saw one doe that was immature, so I passed on her. The season is just beginning and Mary says I'll get to go again at some point.

So there is my hunting update, enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home