Friday, August 25, 2006

Day 2, always read the directions...

Today I made a trip to the Home Depot for some backer board, 1X8's and various other items. My purchase and trip went without a hitch, and even managed to unload without incident. The first project I tackled was to fix that GFCI outlet. It worked fine, but the plug for my ice box wasn't working. I put in a new box, and straightned out the wiring without a bit of trouble.



Next project was the one that took up pretty much the entire day. I had torn out the drywall and was replacing it with cement backer board. I grabbed the directions at the store and read that you had to use a carbide tipped scoring tool, then snap the stuff like you would drywall. Lemme tell ya something, if you read past that bit about scoring it, and not using a circular saw, you find a paragraph pertaining to wearing gloves. I didn't read this paragraph, and now sit here with hands that are raw, blistered, dry, and sliced up pretty well. Evidently the fiber reinforced concrete backer board is very abrasive, and the cement pulls the moisture out of your skin. When the board is scored it creates dust, which is still very course. When this is on the grip of your scoring tool and you squeeze it very tightly, you are imbedding this cement fiber crap into your skin. Also the fibers that reinforce this stuff are fiber-glass. It hurts to type. It took me many hours to accomplish this.



And this will be my backsplash for the stove. Well, I suppose I should put some tile up to make it a bit prettier. Oh crap, didn't take that picture. I blame the beer. But its OK, I'm not drinking alone. Don't worry about him, he's just a lightweight.



I also finished painting the ceiling, should be the final coat. Even if it doesn't look right it still might be the final coat. Here's the pink paint I used. It's not really worth posting a pic of, but I'm kinda drunk and it makes me grin.



Mary brought me Chili's for dinner, ya know, since I demolished the counter where the microwave goes. She's good to me, and I'm good to her. I know what my wife likes, oh yeah. Bitch likes a new kitchen.

1 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

To anyone who is wondering, yes, I gave him permission to call me a bitch on his blog. It was meant with love, I'm sure.

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home